Pages

16 May 2011

Scripture Memory

Yesterday at the girl's piano recital, one of the students played the song "Finlandia".  Who knew that was the alternative title for the hymn from the 1700's, "Be Still My Soul"?  It was beautiful... and the inspiration for my 10th verse.

My soul, wait silently for God alone.  For my expectation is from Him.  Psalm 62:5 (NKJ)

Here are the words to the first verse of the hymn written over 200 years ago... I wonder what the situation was that caused the writer to pen these lyrics. 

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.

Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.

Leave to thy God to order and provide;

In every change, He faithful will remain.

Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend

Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

1 comment:

Wendy Rutherford Dietrich said...

One of my favorite hymns esp Amy G's acapella version.